mardi 4 octobre 2011

The Water Is Wide....


1-The water is wide, I cannot get o'er
And neither have I wings to fly.
Oh give me a boat that will carry two
And both shall row my love and I



2-Down in the meadow the other day
a-gathering flowers both fine and gay
a-gathering flowers both red and blue
I little thought what love can do



3-I leaned my back against an oak,
Thinking that he was a trusting tree.
But first he bent and then he broke,
and so did my false love to me.



4-A ship there is, and she sails the sea,
She's loaded deep as deep can be,
But not so deep as the love I'm in
I know not if I sink or swim.



5-O love is handsome and love is fine,
And love’s a jewel while it is new
But when it is old it groweth cold
And fades away like morning dew.





« The Water Is Wide "(également appelé" O Waly, Waly ») est une chanson folklorique d'origine écossaise ou anglaise qui a été chantée depuis les années 1600 et a vu une popularité considérable à travers le 2Oème siècle. Elle est liée à la Child Ballad 204 ( numéro de Roud 87), Jamie Douglas , qui à son tour se réfère au mariage malheureux de James Douglas, 2e marquis de Douglas à Lady Barbara Erskine . Cecil Sharp recueilli cette chanson lors de son voyage en Amérique en Première Guerre mondiale .

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire